It's day two of touring, and we started out the morning by going to the Jade and Flower Market, which happens only on the weekends in Taipei. Essentially, three parking lots located under the highway are taken over by various vendors. The first market we went to was the Jade Market, famous for (you guessed it!) jade and other jewelry.Fion picked us up at 10, and then dropped us off while she went to pick up the car. (She told us to go shopping, and she'd find us. I was a little worried that the market was a bit big, but then realized that we do stand out a bit as Westerners! She found us without any problem. ) (JEC - It's hard to show the scale of the market via pictures. Heather and I guess maybe a football field's worth of vendors... sort of a Traders' World full of gemstones.)


Next, we went to the flower market. Unlike the Jade market, we really couldn't buy any souvenirs for us to take home, as bringing plants into a foreign country is generally not a good idea. But the flowers were amazing, especially the orchids. We saw a bunch of orchids for under US$5 -- some as cheap as $2 each!
For lunch, we got Dim Sum at this restaurant, and learned how to eat Shanghai dumplings. Basically (as best I understand it), these are dumplings that have soup broth in the actual dumpling, so when you bite into it, the broth will drip out. We first tried stuffing an entire one in our mouth to begin with... and ended up with slightly burned tongues. So, after careful observation of other diners, we found that if you bite into it with your soup spoon underneath the dumpling, you can eat without burning your mouth, and then slurp down the broth when you've finished with the dumpling. We may need a little more time to practice. Luckily, we've decided that this is also one of our favorite foods, so it's not such a big hardship!
Blogger is currently pasting in all pictures I import onto the top of the page, and then not letting me drag them down to the appropriate spot in the post, so I'm going to forego the requisite picture of Jeremy with his bubble tea for the day. Suffice to say that Fion pointed out to us that there is a "very famous, very good" bubble tea location a block and a half from the hotel and we've been there twice today. (JEC -- And, after careful observation on our second visit, I have determined a general recipe for making bubble tea, so I can attempt to recreate the confection after returning to the States. Now I just need to determine how they create those tapioca pearls...)
5 comments:
OOh, I cant wait to go to the Jade market. It sounds great. Are you buying a piece of jewelry for each birthday to give to your daughter, or for her wedding day? Your description of all the food makes me actually excited to go and try it. I was worried that I would not like anything there.
Cant wait to see the baby!!!!
LOL
Lisa R.
Thanks for posting all your pictures - it is great to see Taipei! I am also a huge fan of bubble tea, and thought I'd mention that I've been able to purchase the bubble tea pearls at my local asian market. I've even purchased little kits that have the milk tea mix and the pearls altogether.
Amber L.
www.cramberstaiwanbaby.blogspot.com
If you figure out a bubble tea recipe, you will share won't you? Sarah = )
Hi Heather and Jeremy!
I am keeping track of you from Arizona. Just got back from the Grand Canyon and Sedona. Fabulous!
Less than a week until we see the three of you!
Love, Mom
That jade sounds great. Hint, hint.
I'm living vicariously through you at the Jade Market and drinking bubble tea! And, because I couldn't get it together, I'll just go ahead and reveal I was your secret pal! I was going to mail your package late and realized you'd be in Taiwan. So, I'll send it when I get back. Have fun, and tell Fion hello for us. We loved her and she made it such an enjoyable trip for us. Can't wait to see pictures of your little girl soon! Have a great trip! Abbey
Post a Comment