Wednesday, October 15, 2008

An American Tourist in Taipei

In an effort to give Heather some needed sleep, I decided that Elli and I needed to go for a walk.

We went up and down the steps in the hotel for a bit, and then I put her in the Ergo and we went for a walk to get (what else?) bubble tea (and to see if we could get Elli to join Heather in her own nap too!).

So, in Taipei, caucasian persons are somewhat of a rarity... However, caucasian men with a baby sling and a baby -- these sorts of things could be a once in a lifetime event for some people! So this rather unique sight walked the few blocks down the adjacent road by our hotel and got a bubble tea (small pearls, normal sugar, no ice -- now if I could just order in Mandarin, I would really be in business). By this time, Elli was nearly asleep, so I kept walking for a little longer until she was all the way out.

So let's set the scene:
1) American tourist in Taipei
2) in full "Mr. Mom" regalia (minus the sweeper ala Michael Keaton)
3) walking across a busy street in the middle of the crosswalk
4) taking a sip of a very full bubble tea

At this point, if it wasn't immediately obvious to the casual observer that I was a new parent, it probably became so as bubble tea spilled out from around the straw and directly onto the top of Elli's head, down the back of her neck, and down the side of the Ergo.

I certainly don't remember anyone laughing and pointing as I fumbled for the burp cloth to towel off my sound asleep daughter, but I am suspicious that the persons on the bus were chuckling away...

So for a visual aid -- this is a view from our walk later this evening (not the bubble tea trip mentioned above), but it should give you an idea about how silly I look in the ergo! I think that the "toy on a string" at the bottom really completes the look.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Guys!
LOVE the Daddy tourist in Taipei( thank heavens the tea was cool?); seems like you are both keeping a sense of humor and that's important when it is a 'crash course' ( and it is!!) just like you said!
The pictures are glorious of your beautiful girl!
Hope the tummy troubles are all done!
Safe travels home!
Hugs,
Lisa C.
P.S. Our crash course with Lauren(way back when) included smugly thinking we had her all decked out for the flight home, only to have a fellow traveler inform us her shoes were on the wrong feet! She wasn't walking of course, so who knew?? LOL

Steve said...

Fatherhood looks good on you, my friend. ;-) Don't worry, you'll have a lot more foolish-looking parental moments before its all said & done. Fortunately, back at home you won't stand out quite so badly.

Have a safe trip home and we look forward to seeing you all soon!

Sarah k said...

Ok.. you go new dad! I think it is precious! And don't worry, all of us Americans are a "sight" to the Taiwanese..lol. When we were there at the zoo, we had little kids going "Look! AMERICANS!!" while their teachers tried to hush their "out loud thoughts". We are now apart of many chinese photo albums! And lastly, we were asked if we had middle names! LOL... it happens to the best of us! You look darn good sporting your adorable daughter and I know that Heather was more than likely going "AWWWWWEEEEEEE" as you told her about your outing! You know your way to a woman's heart, you will be an awesome dad!

Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It's only Wednesday - but seeing the pictures and reading your diary made it feel like a super Friday afternoon!!! - She is soooooo... beautiful! When do you need a baby sitter?!

Can't really focus back on work - sh..Well, Chrissy is reading the blog also, so I do not feel too bad...

Love,

Tiehong

Em said...

Hey, she didn't wake up, so it wasn't that much of a faux pas! I hope both Heather & Elli are back to having happy tummies.

Sending prayers for a safe & smooth trip. Happy birthday to Heather as well!

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

Too cute. I think you look like a natural!!!

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

Why I think you look very handsome in the Ergo! Good daddy! Sarah

Cat said...

That's so funny! Maybe she'll be a bubble tea lover like you, Jeremy! I am going to have to try some of that next week. Sounds so intriguing! Now, just don't drink any REALLY HOT beverages while holding her! :-)
Courtney

Anonymous said...

I couldnt stop smiling in the part where the tea drops on to Elli, and daddy fumbles to try to clean and not waking her up at the sametime.

One day when she is older, she will read this blog with lots of amusement.

Take care Jeremy.

Your name got mentioned here very often recently..

Hugs for Elli

MattAshC said...

Hi Heather, Jeremy, and Ellie! Happy Birthday Heather!! We are thinking about you alot and are enjoying reading the updates. The pictures of her are adorable!! She's so pretty. We wish you the best in your travels home. We can't wait to see her! Love you all lots!
Matt, Ashley, Audrey, Baby Boy, and Lester

Anonymous said...

Hi to the three of you!

Good one, Jeremy! I have a picture of me carrying you in a backpack at that same age. However, I did not spill bubble tea on you. Maybe a bit of chocolate, though?
Have a great trip home! We are putting Elli's seat in the van, and we are bringing her warm coat along. It will be in the 50's Friday night.
We are counting the hours.

Love, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Jeremy -
We don't care how silly you think you looked but you truly gave it an A+ for effort... And hopefully Heather got some much needed and much appreciated sleep!!

K:)