Sunday, September 7, 2008

A little bit of cooking!

I started putting together the numbers of what 4-6 weeks until a final ruling + 2 more weeks until we travel looks like and hit a startling revelation: We have a lot going on between now and then!

And then I looked at the list of what I wanted to get done between now and when Elli comes home and realized that... well, as they say at work, "it looks like "stretch" timings." (As in, "this should be fun to watch and see how crazed we can make ourselves while we try to hit this deadline that's really quite unreasonable given all the items we have to do, but there's nothing like a deadline to help you understand what work is and is not critical and to force choice-making.")

One of the items that I was determined will not fall of our list is getting some meals stocked ahead. So I spent most of this weekend cooking. We made homemade marinara and meatballs, which we used to make 4 trays of Lasagna and 2 trays of baked ziti plus about 8 additional containers of sauce that we can use for regular spaghetti; three trays of Turkey Divine; three vegetable pizzas; and four servings of hamburger barbeque. We still have a little more "putting things ahead" work to do, as I have all the "fixings" for another pizza, but we ran out of flour for making the crust.

We have carefully loaded up the freezer and are now proud to say that it is getting much more full than it had been! We're not quite at the "pull out the tetris skills" level of full, but it's not a "no brainer" to go put another meal in the freezer.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Heather,
You have such a delightful way of sharing & expressing yourself; it feels like we are right there too! Except that when I make homemade pizza I cheat and use the crust you just add water too! lol
You have begun the "nesting" phase...that means you are super close to bringing your darling baby girl home!! Yay!
Lisa C. (JOH)

Lisa said...

you guys are so organized. What is tukey divine? I think you should share that one on the board so the rest of us can start thinking about what we can make a head of time.

LOL
Lisa R.