Thursday, May 8, 2008

Every Single Time!!

As I've mentioned in previous posts (like the one I posted about 30 seconds ago), I am in training all week for work, and tonight they finally showed us the video about our corporate mission: Touching Lives, Improving Life.

For the non-indoctrinated, this is a video that basically has snippets of consumers all around the world using the products that we work on every day, along with words that remind us that we touch million of consumers lives with the products we make, and it ends with the question, "Whose life will you touch today?"

I cry every time I see this video. Every single time. Not just little tearing up -- no, no, real crying with the visible wiping of the eyes and the red nose. Tonight must have been somewhere around the 50th time I've seen it. Sure enough, the music started and the screen flashed, "Every day..." "... around the globe..." and a picture of a baby came on and I lost it.

Because tonight as I was watching the video and being reminded that I work on products that are really used around the globe, it occurred to me that the answer to the question "Whose life will you touch today?" could very well be "my daughter's birth mom." And if I haven't helped develop one of the products she uses yet, then there's a very good chance that sometime in my career, I will. And I know it's absolutely inadequate and it's just a little something in a really big world that's out there, but today I'm struck by the fact that I might be able to give back a very, very, very little something to someone who has made an agonizing choice that will result in our ability to have the family we've always dreamed of.

That's really humbling. And it sure is a reason to be inspired at work tomorrow.

1 comment:

Casey said...

Wow Heather...that was a powerful post. You are going to be an amazing mom.
Just think...next year on Mother's Day, you will be holding your daughter.

See you next Saturday.
Casey