Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Help!

As I've posted before, I volunteered to help out with the Cincinnati Children's International Adoption Center's fundraiser this year. And, as part of my donation for this year's fundraiser, I'm making a diaper cake.

This is my first "cake," but as someone who never really met a craft project she didn't like (Okay, maybe not crochet...), I decided not to let inexperience put a damper on my enthusiasm. So... the initial result is displayed to the right.

The safari / jungle theme is so it matches the theme of the fundraiser this year, which is an African one (the featured speaker is talking about her experiences writing about Ethiopia, the orphan crisis there, and her experience having adopted children from Ethiopia).

I think it looks just a bit unfinished, but when I've tried to add anything more to it, it looks a little weird and I think maybe I'm not adding the "right" accoutrement at the right place.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather and Jeremy,

Hehehehe.. the cake looks cute.. maybe different color of towels for each layers help?

Or maybe somehow make each towel triangular (like octagon), so appears like you can cut the cake and eat it!

Sorry, not helping so much.

But anyway, I drop by today, because I heard a very nice song over the radio.

Look it up in youtube if you have not heard about it before. Title is "We've Been Waiting For You" by Carolyn Arends.

Enjoy the songs and the cake.

Lots of hugs,

Ivonna

Anonymous said...

Heather,
I've made diaper cakes before. I tie each individual diaper in a colorful ribbon. It is then easier to stand the each layer and tie them all together. Good luck!
Robin

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

I think it is adorable by the way. What about one or two other little animals crawling on it...like beanie baby sized ones (the cheaper version than the real thing would work I'm sure).
Another idea, from another crafty type lady (and I even like crochet :-)) would be to buy fake "grasses" at the craft store, and make it feel a little "African Safari" like. Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Heather, How about a bow made in the animal print ribbon, placed on the side opposite the elephant? I think that might make it look more balanced. As with all of your crafty projects, this one looks really good already!

Good luck!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Heather I saw a website today that will give you great ideas for future diaper cakes.... They of course are selling these no bake cakes for big bucks.... thepaisleypeach.blogspot.com