Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tiger Shoes!

We are finally back online after a weekend of things going awry (internet went down, we discovered an ant infestation in the laundry room, the freezer's GFI outlet reset itself and therefore we had a mess in the freezer when we got home from vacation -- although thankfully it was only 3 bananas and a bit of meat to clean up!)

Anyway, we've cleaned the freezer out, have done drastic amounts of harm to the ant population, and are blog-able again, so here's the post I wanted to do on Friday night when the internet first went out!

Right before I left work for vacation, a package arrived at my door from Summer, my friend from Beijing. In it was the most adorable set of tiger shoes, which she wrote is a traditional gift for a child in Chinese culture. From the web:

Babies are given tiger hats, tiger shoes, and tiger bibs. In Chinese folklore, the tiger is the king of beasts and is believed to have special powers for protecting children. The tiger shoes have embroidered eyes that are sewn wide-open. These open eyes on their feet help keep children from tripping as they first learn to walk!

Thank you, "Auntie" Summer! Elli will love them, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

Thanks for posting the tip about tigers! Obviously I am going to have to add some tiger things to our growing stash of baby items. Very cute! Sarah = )