Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A telling conversation

We did not escape the stomach bug as easily as I'd hoped. Jeremy arrived home on Saturday night, only to get christened by Elli later that evening and on Sunday night. Monday we took her to the doctor's to find out that she had an ear infection. As we were waiting in the office, Jeremy looked at me and said, "I don't feel so well...." He officially got the stomach bug while I was at the pharmacy picking up Elli's prescription.

So we're taking it a little easy around here and baby-ing both Elli's and Jeremy's stomachs by picking easy-to-handle foods. The only problem is that blueberries (frozen, straight out of the freezer) are on Elli's list of "foods I think I will eat" and not on mommy's list of "foods I think are safe for Elli to eat." This is all background for the following conversation we had on Monday evening. It just encapsulates so much of Elli's personality that I had to share:

E: Mama, boo-bebbies. Dinner.

H: Oh, Elli, let me see if I can find the blueberry puffs for you to eat. Those would be good, right? (Puffs are essentially rice flour, and are "safe.") (I look and can't find them.) Elli, Mommy can't find them. Let's eat something else -- how about bread or bananas or applesauce?

E: (Thinks for a moment) Helpful! (Jumps to her feet and runs to the freezer) Mama, boo-bebbies. Here! Helpful! Boo-bebbies. Eat. Peeze!


Luckily, my laughing hysterically was enough to distract her and convince her that bananas were a good alternative option.

And, for extra cuteness, for the past few days when I've left for work, Elli has been eating breakfast. I wave and tell her I'm going, and she says, "Bye-bye, Honey." I'm guessing she's picked it up as the new equivalent of "See you later, alligator"?

1 comment:

MizRebecky said...

Heather, i love to read your writing. you definitely get me to laugh. Although I haven't met Ellie yet, I feel like I know her from the bits you've shared on the blog. Thanks so much for sharing!